The brand new School of Human Resource Management at York is set to explode onto the academic scene on July 1. The SHRM will house York’s Bachelors’ of HRM, as well as its graduate degrees, the Masters’ of Human Resource Management and the Ph.D in HRM. The School will be the largest of its kind in Canada in terms of both students and faculty. It will house 11 full-time faculty members, plus four faculty members cross-appointed with the School of Administrative Studies.
These are exciting times here at the new School. We are working hard to build the School’s website and a new interactive SHRM blog, while continuing to develop other programs, like exchanges with leading foreign universities with HR programs, the HR Speaker Series, and this new Workshop called Critical HRM, which brings together faculty and students in interesting, cutting edge discourse engaging a critical studies approach to the study of HRM.
To give you a flavour of some of the interesting work happening in the New SHRM, here are some recent stories involving the SHRM Faculty. Watch for the launch of the new SHRM website in July.
- Professor Monica Belcourt wins HR Academic of the Year
- Professor Doorey on the Toronto Strike in the National Post and La Presse
- Professor Tony Fang’s SSRHC Grant to study the impact of immigration on the Canadian economy
- Professor Jelena Zikic on Breaking Down Barriers for New Immigrants
- Professor Sabrina Deutsch-Salamon on the Importance of Trust in Workplaces
- Professor Len Karakowsky on the Leaders and Charisma
- Professor David Doorey Criticizes Wal-Mart’s Employment Practices in National Post
- Professor Marie-Helene Budworth on Whether Modesty Works for Women Employees
- Professor Tony Fang on the Plight of Immigrants Workers in Canada
- Professor Len Karakowsky on the Disconnect Between Post-Secondary Education and Work
- Professor Jelena Zikic and Julia Richardson on the Silver-Lining in Job Losses
- Professor Julia Richardson on Working Academics Living Overseas
- Professor Souha Ezzedeen on the Men Behind the Women Executives
- Professor David Doorey Wins Best Law Professor Blog Award
- Professor Julia Richardson on Short-List of Best Lecturers